History has a manner of repeating itself — even supposing oftentimes it is miles no longer noteworthy fun to relive.
Or no longer it is a theory the 2019 Miami Dolphins are with out a doubt getting acquainted with, the Fish — I do know, dolphins are mammals — getting off to possibly the worst launch the NFL has ever considered in its 100 seasons. Miami is Zero-four and has been outscored 163-26, a margin that includes being collectively whitewashed 81-Zero after halftime. That negative-137 scoring margin already has this personnel midway to the worst differential ever gathered in a 16-recreation season … greatest one quarter of the manner into the agenda.
But sooner than we launch wondering if the ’19 Dolphins will are residing on the opposite indecent of the NFL spectrum from their 17-Zero 1972 brethren, let’s quit to get in mind that the football gods will likely be smiling on Josh Rosen and Co. Coming off its bye week, Miami will host the equally winless Washington Redskins, who enticing fired coach Jay Gruden and potentially desire they had a quarterback as just appropriate as Rosen at their disposal.
Gentle, the ‘Skins are favored by 3½. And with Sam Darnold getting back from mono, it does no longer seem the Dolphins will secure two cracks on the heretofore hapless (and equally winless) Jets.
(Did I fail to present the Cincinnati Bengals? Equally winless at Zero-5 … though as I deem this “equally winless” thing quite more, the Jets and Dolphins are merely Zero-four.)
As we obsess over this recreation in South Florida that no one deserves to acquire, we also continue celebrating the NFL’s A hundredth season, which USA TODAY Sports helped kick off by ranking the 100 greatest teams in league history. Only looks enticing we would also list the 100 worst — and each most up-to-date franchise is represented apart from the Ravens, who’ve never subjected their fans to the greatest depths of football effort of their 24-yr existence.
Little bit of a alternate this time as we work our manner down to the NFL’s most hapless crew and re-familiarize you with the opposite dregs of this football century alongside the manner:
100. 1920 APFA Muncie Flyers (Zero-1): Let’s rewind to the starting, the entire manner back to the NFL’s first legit season (when it used to be quiet identified as the American Knowledgeable Football Affiliation). Muncie conducted as soon as … and misplaced forty five-Zero, victimized by the Rock Island Independents in the fledgling league’s 2nd recreation. The Flyers managed to agenda one more contest that yr, alternatively it used to be rained out. They returned for two games in 1921 but had been shut out at any time when and never again looked in football’s premier league.
Ninety nine. 2005 Saints (3-Thirteen): They deserve resilience aspects for winning three conditions in spite of being displaced the total season by Hurricane Katrina. Unusual Orleans’ “home” games came about at Unusual Jersey’s Giants Stadium, San Antonio’s Alamodome and Baton Rouge’s Tiger Stadium. Silver lining: Drew Brees and Sean Payton arrived a couple of months later.
Ninety eight. 2007 Falcons (four-12): There were very much more abject teams on the sphere. But off of it? In the aftermath of Michael Vick’s imprisonment for dogfighting, Atlanta tried to secure by with recycled first-round QBs Joey Harrington and Byron Leftwich. Then, first-yr coach Bobby Petrino bolted after Thirteen games, returning to the NCAA for Arkansas’ high job. Leaving a form letter to uncover his departure made already sad gamers angry. Fun conditions.
ninety seven. 2002 Houston Texans (four-12): Brooding about they had been a selection franchise, it used to be actually a quite capable season — one who kicked off with a 19-10 upset of the scandalous-remark Cowboys. But Andre Johnson would no longer reach for one other yr. Growth draft LT Tony Boselli never arrived … and that used to be an extraordinarily merciless blow to No. 1 draft want David Carr, who never recovered from the beating he took while enduring a single-season file seventy six sacks.
ninety six. 1969 Bears (1-Thirteen): Despite having Dick Butkus and Gale Sayers, no squad in 100 seasons of Bears football had fewer wins. Gentle, in spite of the file, they had been usually competitive most Sundays.
Ninety five. 2001 Panthers (1-15): Infrequently ever tainted, even Carolina’s solitary one-obtain model — it misplaced every recreation after a victorious opener — averaged a capable 11.2 aspects per defeat.
ninety four. 2016 Los Angeles Rams (four-12): After concluding their two-decade hitch in St. Louis with a actually sad stretch of football, they sprung to a 3-1 launch below QB Case Keenum while kicking off their L.A. repatriation. But they misplaced 11 of their closing 12, coach Jeff Fisher getting fired all over that tailspin while No. 1 want Jared Goff equipped a bust-suitable first affect.
Ninety three. 1978 Baltimore Colts (5-11): Stud QB Bert Jones had begun breaking down, though he did return to intestine out two wins slow in the season. But there used to be no overcoming a launch in which the Colts misplaced their first two games by a mixed 80-Zero.
92. 2009 Oakland Raiders (5-11): They had been 3-four in games that QB JaMarcus Russell didn’t launch. Unfortunately for them, the previous No. 1 want used to be on the sphere broadly. Fortunately for them, he used to be so brutal that he conducted (and ate) himself out of the NFL that yr.
ninety one. 1984 Indianapolis Colts (four-12): After the franchise stole out of Baltimore in the center of the evening, fans in Indy needed to be wondering why they bothered stealing it in the famous space.
ninety. 1999 Saints (3-Thirteen): Coach Mike Ditka used to be fired after the season, one who began with him purchasing and selling his entire draft (and more) in uncover to take hang of Ricky Williams.
89. 2016 49ers (2-14): For drastically different reasons, it stays the final time any individual saw Colin Kaepernick or Chip Kelly employed on an NFL sideline, Kaepernick’s protests all around the national anthem — whether or no longer you agree with him — stirring a season-prolonged controversy.
88. 1983 Houston Oilers (2-14): Earl Campbell’s final beefy creep with the personnel used to be squandered with QBs Gifford Nielsen, Oliver Success (Andrew’s dad) and a washed-up Archie Manning below center.
88a. 1984 Houston Oilers (3-Thirteen): Issues greatest improved marginally a yr later, even with Warren Moon becoming a member of the fold.
87. 1962 Vikings (2-11-1): The 2nd yr of the franchise’s existence, this stays the greatest Minnesota personnel — in spite of the presence of Fran Tarkenton and Jim Marshall — that did no longer obtain three games.
86. 2014 Oakland Raiders (3-Thirteen): Narrative draft class with Khalil Mack, Derek Carr and Gabe Jackson. But they’d well well no longer quit Dennis Allen from getting fired after an Zero-four launch nor actually back a personnel whose losses came by an average margin of 16.6 aspects.
Eighty five. 1993 Indianapolis Colts (four-12): The greatest news is that it marked the quit of QB Jeff George’s tenure and brought Jim Harbaugh’s arrival the following yr.
84. 1998 Eagles (3-Thirteen): The greatest news is that it marked the quit of Ray Rhodes’ tenure and brought Andy Reid’s arrival the following yr.
Eighty three. 1970 Saints (2-11-1): Appropriate imagine if Tom Dempsey hadn’t kicked his then-file sixty three-yard FG to beat Detroit 19-17 that November.
82. 2006 Oakland Raiders (2-14): Shame Art Shell returned to coach this neighborhood, which parlayed its file into the regrettable resolution to draft Russell.
81. 2005 Houston Texans (2-14): Outscored by a franchise-worst 171 aspects, their very most life like participant used to be RB Domanick Williams. Endure in mind him? Did no longer assume so.
80. 2000 San Diego Chargers (1-15): The fitting time the Bolts done with a single obtain, the restoration began right away when LaDainian Tomlinson used to be drafted the next spring.
seventy nine. 2014 Tennessee Titans (2-14): Worst they’ve been by manner of wins and point differential (minus-184) since relocating to Nashville. Dilapidated first-round QB Jake Locker, then 26, had so noteworthy fun that yr, he determined no longer to play football anymore.
seventy eight. 2011 Buccaneers (four-12): Worst Tampa personnel in the put up-Creamsicle period, their 3-1 launch used to be undone by a defense that surrendered potentially the most aspects in the league and the unraveling of presumed franchise QB Josh Freeman.
seventy seven. 2011 Indianapolis Colts (2-14): Whereas you form a personnel around Peyton Manning, but he cannot play … right here’s what happens — they’d well well no longer even beat the ’11 Bucs. At the least the timing of Curtis Painter and Co. used to be impeccable, their crash and burn allowing Indy to pluck Andrew Success in the 2012 draft.
seventy six. 1984 Vikings (3-Thirteen): Presumably the worst personnel in Minnesota’s history, as none gave up more aspects (484) or had a worse differential (208). Les Steckel used to be so tainted in his greatest yr as a head coach, Bud Grant came out of retirement in 1985.
Seventy five. 1975 Bears (four-10): Despite having a rookie named Walter Payton, no squad in 100 seasons of Bears football used to be outscored by more aspects (188).
seventy four. 1992 Seahawks (2-14): Inappropriate Seattle teams are few and much between, but right here’s the greatest one who misplaced 14 conditions. It also scored a paltry Eight.Eight aspects per recreation, worst ever over a 16-recreation season. By hook or by crook, DT Cortez Kennedy managed to acquire defensive participant of the yr honors … potentially helped that he used to be on the sphere the entire time.
seventy three. 1998 Bengals (3-Thirteen): Cincinnati has considered a entire lot of tainted football, but a personnel coached by Bruce Coslet and quarterbacked by Neil O’Donnell vital itself by getting outscored by 184 aspects.
73a. 1999 Bengals (four-12): The next yr, Coslet and QB Jeff Blake added a obtain and lower the total point differential by … seven aspects.
73b. 2000 Bengals (four-12): Finally, QB Akili Smith bought Coslet fired.
seventy two. 1966 Broncos (four-10): Denver used to be a actually frightful operation all over its preliminary years in the American Football League, winning four or fewer games in seven of its first eight seasons. And the losses had been almost continually decisive. Despite getting four victories in the famous season of the Huge Bowl period, the Broncos averaged with regards to 21 aspects per defeat.
seventy one. 1967 Dolphins (four-10): Miami’s 2nd yr used to be its worst, the Fins losing by 24.6 per week all over an eight-recreation trip that began after a season-opening obtain. They had been outscored by 188 aspects total, worst in club history.
70. 1962 Oakland Raiders (1-Thirteen ): The fitting time in 60 seasons they didn’t obtain on the very least twice.
Sixty nine. 2002 Bengals (2-14): Remarkably, right here’s the greatest Cincinnati personnel that did no longer reach the three-obtain plateau. Coach Dick LeBeau used to be modified by Marvin Lewis in 2003.
Sixty eight. 2007 Dolphins (1-15): Nearly as excellent, right here’s the greatest Miami outfit that did no longer reach the three-obtain plateau (for now). Then the Fins passed on Matt Ryan to kick off the 2008 draft.
67. 1996 Jets (1-15): Sticking with the theme, right here’s the greatest NYJ neighborhood that did no longer reach the three-obtain plateau. The presence of No. 1 want Keyshawn Johnson didn’t back noteworthy, and Peyton Manning’s resolution to close at Tennessee led the Jets to dump the head want of the 1997 draft.
66. 2012 Jaguars (2-14): Yet as soon as more — the greatest time Jacksonville didn’t reach the three-obtain plateau.
66a. 2013 Jaguars (four-12): The Jags won twice as many games in the next season, but this used to be the greatest time they had been outscored by 200-plus aspects.
sixty five. 1968 Payments (1-12-1): Buffalo’s greatest one-obtain AFL effort bought them O.J. Simpson atop the 1969 draft.
Sixty four. 2004 49ers (2-14): The coach used to be Dennis Erickson. The quarterbacks had been Tim Rattay and Ken Dorsey. The quit skills guys had been RB Kevan Barlow and TE Eric Johnson — sure, Jessica Simpson’s husband. You secure it.
64a. 2005 49ers (four-12): And these had been the fellows who frail that laborious-earned No. 1 want on Alex Smith as an different of Aaron Rodgers. You do no longer secure it … and neither does any individual else.
sixty three. 1963 Broncos (2-11-1): Denver used to be 2-2 after four games but didn’t obtain again. four quarterbacks started.
Sixty two. 1985 Payments (2-14): Pretty ghastly — 52 turnovers! — while ready for Jim Kelly to leave the USFL.
sixty one. 1984 Payments (2-14): Pretty ghastly while ready for Jim Kelly to leave the USFL and Bruce Smith to leave Virginia Tech.
60. 1961 Broncos (3-11): Played and dressed poorly — probabilities are you’ll well keep in mind the gold and brown vertically striped socks — allowing 37 aspects four conditions of their season-ending seven-recreation trip.
Fifty nine. 2018 Arizona Cardinals (3-Thirteen): They had Larry Fitzgerald, Patrick Peterson, Chandler Jones and David Johnson … and quiet by some means managed to be the league’s worst personnel.
Fifty eight. 1936 Eagles (1-11): Philadelphia began the yr by choosing No. 1 in the famous-ever NFL draft, choosing Jay Berwanger, the inaugural Heisman Trophy winner. The Eagles also beat the Giants 10-7 in the season opener. Otherwise? They misplaced the comfort of their games and never did reach a take care of Berwanger.
fifty seven. 1980 Saints (1-15): They beat the Jets 21-20 at Shea Stadium in Week 15 for his or her first obtain — narrowly avoiding the league’s first Zero-16 campaign. The worst of the Ain’ts, as no Unusual Orleans personnel used to be outscored this badly (196 aspects).
Fifty six. 2010 Panthers (2-14): This used to be the Jimmy Clausen-led personnel that bought John Fox fired and Cam Newton drafted.
55. 2011 St. Louis Rams (2-14): The united states would possibly well moreover no longer have effectively acknowledged how tainted the put up-Finest Ticket On Turf Rams teams actually had been. As tainted as this installment used to be, no longer even end to some of of its kinfolk. Extra on this later …
fifty four. 1964 Broncos (2-11-1): Scoring the fewest aspects and allowing potentially the most in the AFL’s fifth season will land you on the list, Denver’s 198-point differential its worst ever.
53. 1963 49ers (2-12): Ranked final in every entire offense and entire defense and their dozen losses came by an average of 17.2 aspects.
52. 1975 Saints (2-12): A microcosm of the Archie Manning years, they had been sunk by an offense that produced the fewest aspects and yards in the league … in spite of Manning’s otherworldly abilities.
fifty one. 1973 San Diego Chargers (2-11-1): To assume, they had Johnny Unitas and Deacon Jones (plus rookie Dan Fouts). The lowest scoring personnel in club annals, no personnel in Bolts history had an even bigger gap between aspects scored (188) and allowed (386).
50. 1976 Seahawks (2-12): The worst club in Seattle history, even with WR Steve Largent and QB Jim Zorn, used to be also the famous. But it with out a doubt wasn’t the ugliest expansion club that yr. Extra on this later …
Forty nine. 1972 Eagles (2-11-1): Welp. They had been just appropriate at receiver (Harold Jackson and Harold Carmichael), but with out any individual to throw to them, Philly used to be outscored (by 207 aspects) be pleased it never has been sooner than or since.
48. 1941 Steelers (1-9-1): They opened with seven consecutive defeats and done with a flourish, dropping their closing two games by a mixed rating of 89-14.
forty seven. 1939 Chicago Cardinals (1-10): Pretty competitive in the season’s first half, they dropped their closing six games by a mixed rating of 175-28.
46. 1976 Jets (3-11): Coach Lou Holtz made his gamers be taught a fight tune, then fled to Arkansas with a recreation left to play — no doubt planting a seed for Petrino 31 years later. No other Jets squad used to be outscored by this many aspects (214).
46a. 1975 Jets (3-11): The previous yr’s Jets had been greatest a puny more competitive. Collectively, these two teams chewed up and spit out four head coaches.
forty five. 1969 Steelers (1-Thirteen): “Mean Joe” Greene used to be their first-round want, and he enjoyed victory in his debut. Then … nothing. But this woeful season set up Pittsburgh in situation to draft Terry Bradshaw No. 1 the following yr.
forty four. 1942 Lions (Zero-11): Loathe to harp on teams taking part in when the league used to be largely gutted of abilities all over World Battle II. But going winless with the frequent loss by more than 20 aspects is significantly inept.
44a. 1946 Lions (1-10): With the struggle over, Detroit found the obtain column — as soon as.
forty three. 1948 Lions (2-10): Two years later, Detroit doubled its obtain entire but its losses had been by an average of 21.four aspects. Negative growth.
Forty two. 1954 Chicago Cardinals (2-10): They won one fewer recreation than their peers in Washington that yr, but the Playing cards’ scoring differential used to be sixty one aspects better. And having Ollie Matson, Charley Trippi and Night Put collectively Lane counts for one thing.
forty one. 1987 Falcons (3-12): Their strike scabs actually made them more competitive. Atlanta’s “regulars” went 2-10 and misplaced their games by an average of 22.3 aspects.
forty. 1944 Card-Pitt (Zero-10): Even though the Pittsburgh Steelers and Chicago Cardinals merged for one season all around the height of WWII — it wasn’t a ridiculous belief given the 1943 “Steagles” (a mixed Pittsburgh and Philadelphia squad) went a capable 5-four-1 — their mixed abilities produced nary a obtain and an average margin of defeat of 22 aspects.
40a. 1943 Chicago Cardinals (Zero-10): Did no longer obtain and had been, on average, two TDs worse than the opposition. Hence the need for Card-Pitt …
40b. 1945 Chicago Cardinals (1-9): They won as soon as following the Card-Pitt experiment, an glaring turnaround … and their first triumph since 1942.
39. 1965 Steelers (2-12): Pittsburgh’s closing personnel sooner than the crack of dawn of the Huge Bowl period exemplifies what a wayward franchise this used to be sooner than Lombardi Trophies had been at stake. Giving up 195 more aspects than they scored used to be a low-water designate pre-Curtain.
38. 1921 APFA Tonawanda Kardex (Zero-1): What a popularity, actual? Would no longer you pick to search the league market “Tonawanda Kardex” equipment — the club used to be also dubbed the Lumbermen — circa 2019? But let’s no longer digress … noteworthy extra. No NFL personnel had a shorter stint than Tonawanda Kardex, which conducted one recreation. The Lumbermen, who had been essentially essentially essentially based in Upstate Unusual York, had been blown out forty five-Zero by the Rochester Jeffersons and never heard from again.
37. 1934 Cincinnati Reds (Zero-Eight): They must have shown up with bats and gloves, dropping their games by an average of 29.1 aspects while getting shut out six conditions. The Reds’ closing recreation used to be a Sixty four-Zero loss to the Eagles that marked the quit of their NFL membership.
36. 1924 Rochester Jeffersons (Zero-7): Winless and outscored 156-7.
35. 1923 Rochester Jeffersons (Zero-four): Winless and outscored 141-6 in on the total half the time — their average defeat by 33.Eight aspects (in comparison with a meager 21.3 the following season). Ah, the Roaring Twenties.
34. 1990 Browns (3-Thirteen): They gave up 462 aspects, more than any other personnel in the 1990s. Their losses came by an average of 19 aspects, one reason Bud Carson misplaced his job at midseason. Maybe enticing psychological fatigue after losing the AFC Championship Game to the Broncos in three of the previous four years.
33. 1970 Patriots (2-12): The final yr they’d be identified as the “Boston Patriots” would no longer be one to keep in mind. Properly, possibly no longer correct given Joe Kapp, Jim Nance and Co. had been doing a entire lot of that losing at Harvard Stadium.
32. 1986 Buccaneers (2-14): They kicked off the yr by drafting Bo Jackson, who made just appropriate on his threat to never play for a firm he believed payment him his baseball eligibility at Auburn. Then a young Steve Younger proceeded to lose 12 of his 14 starts.
31. 1971 Payments (1-Thirteen): No Buffalo personnel used to be more completely dominated (outscored by 210 aspects), partly because O.J. hadn’t hit his stride but.
30. 1958 Packers (1-10-1): In Ninety nine NFL seasons, greatest one Green Bay personnel has done with one obtain. Yep, this one. But it with out a doubt used to be worth it — coach Ray McLean used to be modified by Vince Lombardi the next yr.
29. 1961 Redskins (1-12-1): A obtain over Dallas in the weird and wonderful-season finale salvaged the season. Form of.
28. 1961 Oakland Raiders (2-12): No Oakland personnel used to be ever outscored by more (221 aspects). They didn’t even resemble the Raiders, their gold and shaded uniforms nearer to Pittsburgh’s eye and their “home” games at San Francisco’s Candlestick Park.
27. 2012 Chiefs (2-14): Effortlessly the least-competitive personnel this proud franchise has ever fielded. Despite Jamaal Charles’ brilliance, the Matt Cassel period ended with a thud … which included 12 losses in the closing Thirteen games — and a four-recreation skid to entire the season when Okay.C. used to be thrashed 103-23 collectively.
26. 1954 Redskins (3-9): Certain, they prevailed 1 / four of the time. But when they didn’t … Washington’s margin of defeat in its nine losses used to be 27.6 aspects, including a Sixty two-3 rout courtesy of the Browns.
25. 1968 Falcons (2-12): Atlanta’s 1/3 installment wasn’t unbelievable, ranking final in the NFL in every entire offense and defense and outscored at more than a two-to-one clip.
24. 1966 Falcons (3-11): Atlanta’s inaugural installment used to be worse, losing its first nine games while scoring the fewest aspects and allowing potentially the most yards in the league … while getting outscored at more than a two-to-one clip.
23. 1967 Falcons (1-12-1): But Atlanta’s 2nd installment? In fact the pits, the organization suffering or no longer it is greatest one-obtain season while getting outscored by a franchise-file 247 aspects … and simply at a fee exceeding a two-to-one clip. They scored the fewest aspects and gave up potentially the most while surrendering potentially the most yards and gaining the fewest.
22. 1949 Packers (2-10): Curly Lambeau’s closing season on the sideline used to be possibly the worst in franchise history, Green Bay’s minus-215 point differential quiet the worst in its file e book. The Pack’s average margin of defeat used to be 23.6 aspects, and all of their losses had on the very least a 14-point spread.
21. 1972 Patriots (3-11): Their 52-Zero loss to the vital ‘seventy two Dolphins is quiet the worst in club history. And Unusual England’s negative 254-point differential used to be the 2nd worst ever by a personnel taking part in a 14-recreation agenda. Extra on this later …
20. 1989 Cowboys (1-15): Legendary coach Tom Landry bought sacked by fresh proprietor Jerry Jones … though opposing quarterbacks had been hardly in such jeopardy. The antagonistic takeover by Jones and coach Jimmy Johnson fleet bore a dynasty, but they almost didn’t continue to exist the lone 1-15 campaign The united states’s Crew has ever continued.
19. 1999 Browns (2-14): Cleveland’s expansion return after a four-yr absence didn’t inch effectively. It marked the greatest time the Browns did no longer obtain three games … in the 20th Century anyway.
18. 1982 Baltimore Colts (Zero-Eight-1): You shock how tainted it will moreover need gotten had the strike no longer truncated this campaign. Their first-round want used to be soon-to-be infamous QB Art Schlichter, though Mike Pagel started every recreation, engineering an average deficit of 15.four aspects. Both would were modified by John Elway in 1983 had he no longer forced his manner out of Baltimore … actual sooner than the Colts did the equivalent.
17. 2003 Arizona Cardinals (four-12): They’ve bought a case as the worst club in franchise history — which is announcing one thing for the explanation that Playing cards are in fact one of the necessary NFL’s two closing charter participants … though admittedly these Pac-10 teams that toiled at Sun Devil Stadium all blur collectively. WR Anquan Boldin used to be a rookie superstar, but he would possibly well possibly no longer quit losses that averaged 20-point margins.
16. 2000 Arizona Cardinals (3-Thirteen): They’ve bought a case as the worst club in franchise history — which is announcing one thing for the explanation that Playing cards are in fact one of the necessary NFL’s two closing charter participants … though admittedly these Pac-10 teams that toiled at Sun Devil Stadium all blur collectively. Pat Tillman used to be quiet patrolling the secondary, but he would possibly well possibly no longer quit the Playing cards from being outscored by 233 aspects, worst in personnel history.
15. 2008 St. Louis Rams (2-14): It is probably you’ll well assume a personnel with Torry Holt, Steven Jackson and Marc Bulger would possibly well possibly no longer be this tainted, but they dropped 10 in a row to entire the season and misplaced by an average margin of 18.2 aspects. But it with out a doubt will get worse. Extra on this later …
14. 1966 Giants (1-12-1): The G-Males were around since 1925. Here is the greatest time they didn’t reach two wins. Their minus-238 point differential is also effortlessly the worst in franchise history. Unusual York done final in the Jap Convention, 1½ games on the back of the expansion Falcons.
Thirteen. 2000 Browns (3-Thirteen): Even with consecutive No. 1 draft picks (QB Tim Sofa and DE Courtney Brown), they managed to be worse than the previous season’s expansion effort. Cleveland’s 258-point differential stays the worst in personnel history, and the Browns’ Thirteen losses came by an average of 22 aspects. They had been also shut out four conditions, including a 48-Zero scrubbing from Jacksonville.
12. 1991 Indianapolis Colts (1-15): After dealing to secure fleet George atop the previous yr’s draft, they sure weren’t awaiting the greatest 1-15 season the personnel has ever had. Appreciate they did for the 1980 Saints, the Jets saved the Colts from the ignominy of the famous-ever Zero-16 season … though no longer sooner than Ron Meyer used to be fired.
11. 1949 Unusual York Bulldogs (1-10-1): Their losses came about by an average of more than 22 aspects — though a sixty five-20 drubbing from the Cardinals took the cake. The next yr, they had been rechristened the Unusual York Yanks. And after the 1951 season, they had been no longer in the NFL.
10. 1990 Patriots (1-15): It wasn’t continually hunky-dory for the Unusual England devoted. No longer greatest did these Pats form the greatest 1-15 file the club has everr suffered, they bought outscored by 265 aspects on the manner. The 446 aspects allowed had been a personnel file, too. Worst of all, allegations that several gamers sexually harassed Boston Herald reporter Lisa Olson in the locker room added an grotesque layer to a educate damage of a campaign.
9. 1950 Baltimore Colts (1-11): No longer to be at a loss for words with the familiar Colts of Unitas, Manning and Success, this separate entry lasted enticing one yr in the NFL after coming over from the defunct All-The united states Football Convention (AAFC). But they went out in a blaze of glory, the greatest personnel in league history to allow on the very least 50 aspects in four weird and wonderful-season games, including a 70-27 loss to the Rams. The Colts stunk in spite of getting familiar names, including future Hall of Famers Y.A. Tittle and Art Donovan.
Eight. 1952 Dallas Texans (1-11): No longer to be at a loss for words with the AFL’s Dallas Texans (who later modified into the Kansas Metropolis Chiefs). These Texans lasted enticing one yr in the NFL — monetary points forced them to leave Texas midway thru the season as they hopscotched to Hershey, Pennsylvania, and and Akron, Ohio — sooner than they in the kill modified into established as the Baltimore Colts in 1953. Animated Donovan and legendary Gino Marchetti had been every on the roster (and later modified into Colts mainstays). But first, these Texans misplaced their games by an average of 22.6 aspects and surrendered 35.6 per week.
7. 1960 Cowboys (Zero-11-1): No longer like the aforementioned Dallas Texans, the Cowboys in the kill made the NFL thrive in the Lone Extensive name Yelp. Yet unlike those Texans, these maiden Cowboys, quarterbacked mostly by Eddie LeBaron, would possibly well possibly no longer obtain a recreation.
6. 1973 Houston Oilers (1-Thirteen): Whereas you ever are looking out for to search an overmatched coach failed by eloquence, eye up the outmoded NFL Motion photographs clips of Invoice Peterson. As for the X’s and O’s, Houston suffered its greatest (non-strike) one-obtain seasons below Peterson — in consecutive years. The ‘seventy three personnel used to be outscored by 248 aspects and misplaced its games by an average of 19.four. Awful Dan Pastorini and Elvin Bethea … though colourful No. 1 total want John Matuszak potentially deserved this.
6a. 1972 Houston Oilers (1-Thirteen): Peterson’s first Houston effort used to be greatest about two aspects better per week. Whereas going 2-26 and getting outscored by with regards to 500 aspects over these two seasons, very solid argument right here’s the worst two-yr stretch any club in league history has ever weathered.
5. 2017 Browns (Zero-16): Going Zero-16 will secure you into the head (bottom?) five … in particular when the analytics steer you manner from Carson Wentz, Deshaun Watson and any selection of alternative devoted gamers. But it with out a doubt most be popular that Hue Jackson’s personnel greatest misplaced by 11 aspects a week, in order that they weren’t enticing rolling over.
5a. 2016 Browns (1-15): In fact, their average margin of defeat used to be 12.7 aspects. But on the very least they contributed a victory to a personnel that went an unparalleled 1-31 over two years.
four. 2009 St. Louis Rams (1-15): These dudes again, though right here’s actually the nadir of football in the Gateway Metropolis. It marks the greatest time the Rams have ever gone 1-15, and they misplaced by an average of 17.9 aspects — an chronicle failure all around the salary cap period. And drafting Sam Bradford the following spring merely proved one other mirage. Theory: These Rams teams were spared their deserved denunciation thanks to what came about in Detroit the previous yr. Extra on this later …
3. 1981 Baltimore Colts (2-14): Since the 16-recreation agenda went into originate in 1978, no personnel has been outscored by a worse margin than their 274-point gap. They had been scorched for 533 aspects — no personnel has ever relinquished more. They misplaced by an average of with regards to 20 aspects a week. And also you can moreover’t declare accidents on Bert Jones this time — he greatest missed one recreation. Weirdly, the Colts won their opener and weird and wonderful-season finale by a mixed three aspects, every victories in opposition to the Patriots — who, possibly no longer surprisingly, also went 2-14.
2. 2008 Lions (Zero-16): The famous personnel to head Zero-16, no longer all that easy when you’ve a celeb be pleased Calvin Johnson for your aspect. Getting QB Matthew Stafford in the next draft greatest made them two wins better, though their margin of defeat worsened from 15.6 to 17. The big culmination of the Matt Millen years.
1. 1976 Buccaneers (Zero-14): Football futility at its very most life like. They had been outscored by 287 aspects (20.5 per recreation), the widest margin in NFL history. QB Steve Spurrier hastened his transformation into Head Ball Coach by going Zero-12 with a passer rating of fifty seven.1. WR Morris Owens used to be the head inch catcher (30 receptions, 390 yards). Appropriate nothing future Hall of Famer Lee Roy Selmon would possibly well moreover originate to salvage a ship that sank on the dock. Tampa Bay used to be shut out five conditions and cracked 20 aspects greatest as soon as (and never 21 aspects). Gentle, coach John McKay’s gallows humor makes it fun staring at outmoded “highlights” of the expansion Bucs, who would also lose their first 12 games of 1977, though in some distance more competitive vogue.
Follow USA TODAY Sports’ Nate Davis on Twitter @ByNateDavis